Dragonz Clan

Author Topic: Avacyn Restored Pre-Release Tournament News  (Read 7014 times)

Offline Pope Smotage

• Gladiator
Avacyn Restored Pre-Release Tournament News
« on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
So, I haven't really played Magic: The Gathering for many a year at this point (the last time I really played was when Legions was brand new, and then I quit after I took first at the pre-release and sold off quite a few cards.

Anyways, my mate invited me to go to a pre-release for the new set Avacyn Restored and I told him nah. He pressured me more and I said sure since it was only $25 so not a real big loss and he's a fun guy anyways. So, head to the tournament and end up taking first, winning the 22 pack prize pool and getting a few fun cards in there (:

Got Griselbrand, the Red Planeswalker, Temporal Mastery, Cavern of Souls, and about $100 in rares overall. Twas quite the fun evening even though it went from 12am to 6:30am! It went waaaaaay too late. But, my streak remains undefeated. Took first at every Magic tournament I've been to, which has been 4 (:

Yay to me. That is all. Just thought I'd brag it up haha.

Offline Jenn

• National Interactions Technician
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
Lmao.  Glad you had fun and gratz on first!  How many players were there?
If you want someone to feel like you care about them, make them a priority, not an afterthought.

Offline Kyler

• Head of In Game Recruitment
  • Leader
  • "Insanity at its Finest."
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
I hear by challange you to a duel! (on runescape maybe I've never played magic)

:kyler2:
If you have any questions about anything pm me in game 'Kyler' or message me on the forums by clicking HERE.
My Road to Final Boss
4th Dragz member to get Max Cape
3rd Dragz member to 120 Dung
2nd Dragz member to get Completionist Cape
1st Dragz member to get a Trimmed Completionist Cape

Offline Pope Smotage

• Gladiator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »
108, there were 6 hours of rounds... bleh :x

I finally got to bed at around 7am.

Offline Jenn

• Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
*blink*  Which store was hosting?  That's alot of players!
If you want someone to feel like you care about them, make them a priority, not an afterthought.

Offline air_jordan99

• Senior Tactics Manager
  • Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
I remember when Magic the gathering was first released......  :thinking:

:mike:

Offline Pope Smotage

• Gladiator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
I don't know what the store was, something in downtown Saint Louis. It's the one that my mate typically buys his cards at, I've never been there and actually don't know the name haha.

They had 2 of those box thingies and had groups playing separately since the box thing (that plays into the storyline somehow, the hell box thing) was made for 54 or so? Anyways, it was weird b/c a lot of the people knew each from Friday Night Magic and other tournaments and I felt like a loner, but that's ok. Also, I felt silly b/c I kept getting corrected on rules as I was trying to play games with just little details that I did wrong or that I did out of turn, but.... oh well.

All's well that ends well! (:

Superior deck construction and strategy beat out the tiny rule loopholes.

Offline 316mage620

• Forum Lurker
  • Leader
  • Mr. 35
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
I've only done one MTG tournament, it was one where you draw cards there and have to build a deck from the cards you draw, but you get to keep them. I paid like 20 bucks and drew a 30 dollar card, so was a win for me, even though I lost :tongue: Grats on winning!

:kyler:
99 Fletching achieved on November 2, 2008
99 Cooking achieved on May 13, 2009
99 Smithing achieved on July 19, 2009
99 Magic achieved on March 04,2011
99 Attack achieved on June 30, 2011
99 Crafting achieved on September 15, 2011
99 Firemaking achieved on December 1, 2011
99 Strength achieved on September 29, 2012
99 Woodcutting achieved on September 29, 2012
99 Constitution achieved on November 11, 2012
99 Prayer achieved on December 2, 2012
99 Summoning achieved on May 19, 2013
99 Defence achieved on June 6, 2013
99 Farming achieved on January 15, 2014

Offline Jenn

• Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
I remember when Magic the gathering was first released......  :thinking:

:mike:

Shhhh lol. Nate's been in business with M:tG being the focus since about the time that Unlimited released, LOL

I don't know what the store was, something in downtown Saint Louis. It's the one that my mate typically buys his cards at, I've never been there and actually don't know the name haha.

They had 2 of those box thingies and had groups playing separately since the box thing (that plays into the storyline somehow, the hell box thing) was made for 54 or so? Anyways, it was weird b/c a lot of the people knew each from Friday Night Magic and other tournaments and I felt like a loner, but that's ok. Also, I felt silly b/c I kept getting corrected on rules as I was trying to play games with just little details that I did wrong or that I did out of turn, but.... oh well.

All's well that ends well! (:

Superior deck construction and strategy beat out the tiny rule loopholes.

Hellvault ;)  We had a hellvault event at Midnight Friday, and another on Sunday at noon.  Sounds like you were at Fantasy Shop, we've been there a few times.  Its actually in St Charles, not St Louis (unless they've moved since we were there last!)

M:tG rules are ALWAYS changing, one of the little things that annoys me about it at times.

I've only done one MTG tournament, it was one where you draw cards there and have to build a deck from the cards you draw, but you get to keep them. I paid like 20 bucks and drew a 30 dollar card, so was a win for me, even though I lost :tongue: Grats on winning!

Sounds like you played in a draft, Kyler.  Three packs - open one, choose a card, pass to the person next to you, continue til the pack is gone, open the next pack, choose, pass the other direction?  Drafts are good like that, most of the time we have them where you play for the cards, or you keep the cards and we throw in a pack per person who plays as a prize.

I think this is the most I've ever had to talk about work on here. XD

:jenn:

Offline 316mage620

• Forum Lurker
  • Leader
  • Mr. 35
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »
Yeah that was the setup Jenn. I liked it, because it neutralizes people who have expensive dominating cards like Beleren I think, and focuses on strategy.

99 Fletching achieved on November 2, 2008
99 Cooking achieved on May 13, 2009
99 Smithing achieved on July 19, 2009
99 Magic achieved on March 04,2011
99 Attack achieved on June 30, 2011
99 Crafting achieved on September 15, 2011
99 Firemaking achieved on December 1, 2011
99 Strength achieved on September 29, 2012
99 Woodcutting achieved on September 29, 2012
99 Constitution achieved on November 11, 2012
99 Prayer achieved on December 2, 2012
99 Summoning achieved on May 19, 2013
99 Defence achieved on June 6, 2013
99 Farming achieved on January 15, 2014

Offline Pope Smotage

• Gladiator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:35 AM »
The way they did it when I went was you got 6 boosters and infinite lands. You made your 40+ card deck from those cards and then played through. For the pot they threw in 2 boosters per person and then proportionally broke them down so that the top person got a lot of boosters, and then the lower down you were ranked you got less. My mate went 2-2 and got 1 booster and I got 22. Oo Oo plus the worthless oversized card!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ok, I was kind of a little happy about this actually b/c I got Griselbrand in one of the packs and got the Griselbrand oversized card - twinners!)

The deck I played was white/green soulbond. My little weenies joined hands and skipped down the lane to victory. Having a Champion of Lambholt is really what did it for me though, it had great synergy with Commander's Authority and Angel of Glory's Rise (since I went mostly human focus). That's the thing about pre-release tournaments - The person with the lower casting cost strong card wins the day. I was the only person I saw that had one in their deck. And the top 3 ranked people were all green/white decks.

And Jenn.A, I have no idea where it was located ): I know Sydney and Utah a lot better than I do Saint Louis.......
Oh and P.S. - I'll give you a final count on those cards and give you an order this week!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:47:51 AM by Pope Smotage »

Offline Jenn

• Forum Admin
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »
The way they did it when I went was you got 6 boosters and infinite lands. You made your 40+ card deck from those cards and then played through. For the pot they threw in 2 boosters per person and then proportionally broke them down so that the top person got a lot of boosters, and then the lower down you were ranked you got less. My mate went 2-2 and got 1 booster and I got 22. Oo Oo plus the worthless oversized card!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ok, I was kind of a little happy about this actually b/c I got Griselbrand in one of the packs and got the Griselbrand oversized card - twinners!)

This is a sealed format - 6 boosters, infinite land, 40 card minimum deck :P   The prize pot was a requirement by the manufacturer, for prereleases you MUST give 2 boosters per person that plays in the payout (helps insure good prize, and helps make sure stores aren't hording prize for themselves!)  Sealed and 2 headed giant (teams of 2, with the team assisting one another with deck building) are the only formats currently allowed for prerelease tournaments (which kind of sucks, draft is MUCH better, and cheaper on the players!).

The deck I played was white/green soulbond. My little weenies joined hands and skipped down the lane to victory. Having a Champion of Lambholt is really what did it for me though, it had great synergy with Commander's Authority and Angel of Glory's Rise (since I went mostly human focus). That's the thing about pre-release tournaments - The person with the lower casting cost strong card wins the day. I was the only person I saw that had one in their deck. And the top 3 ranked people were all green/white decks.

And Jenn.A, I have no idea where it was located ): I know Sydney and Utah a lot better than I do Saint Louis.......
Oh and P.S. - I'll give you a final count on those cards and give you an order this week!

This set almost has to be mainly white decks because of the card focus. ;)  Sooooo many angels!  I know it matches the storyline, but geez.  Major turn from the last set's focus on black and vampires/zombies/werewolves.

Just let me know when you've got your finalized list, and I'll get back with you on the final price including shipping and work out payment :)

:jenn:

Offline Pope Smotage

• Gladiator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
Yup Yup, should be tomorrow (:

Most of the stuff is for my bro, my decks are all finalized and built already so... Meh

Do you play much at all Jenn.A? It would be fun to here some of your decks! I have some doozies (;